Patient Cost Benchmarking
PCB was first conceived in June 2009 to facilitate a request from Kings College Hospital NHS FT to benchmark patient level costing information between themselves and Guys & St Thomas’ NHS FT with whom a proposed merger was to take place. Soon after the project was completed interest in the facility increased dramatically particularly in London and by 2010 a decision was made to extend the group nationally. The main aim was to address the shortfalls of other services by ensuring that PCB is:
- Value for money
- Easy to implement
- Easy to use
- Based on national standards
To date PCB is used by over 90 NHS Trusts with numbers increasing monthly. Furthermore, PCB has also been used by a number of third party organisations in support of varied national projects. These organisations include the DH, Monitor (now NHS Improvement), Specialised Commissioning, HSCIC, PwC, EY, Deloitte & Project Diamond.
For more information on these projects please click here: PCB supports national Projects
What is Benchmarking and why Benchmark?
Benchmarking is what organisations do to compare their performance with that of their peers, usually to identify areas for improvement. It is a continuous activity, not a one-off project; internal processes are adjusted, performance is monitored, new comparisons are made with the current best performers and further changes are explored, all with the ultimate goal of achieving world class status.
Adapted from: “Why Benchmark? Understanding the process of best practice benchmarking” –
Jacky Holloway, Matthew Hinton, David Mayle and Graham Francis – The Open University Business School
- Compare your organisation’s Patient Cost & Activity information with like minded healthcare organisations throughout the UK.
- Compare with a single peer, peer group or group average.
- Identify problem areas quickly using easy to understand preconfigured dashboard analysis.
- Provides clear and transparent cost comparison between organisations with full drill-down capability across all levels of patient care.
- Facilitates a better understanding of variances by analysing cost in line with nationally accepted cost classifications.
- Ensures consistency in cost definitions by working closely with the PCB User Group, Monitor & the HFMA Clinical Costing standards group.
- Facilitates a better understanding of variations in clinical coding practice by comparing Procedure, Diagnostics and HRG combinations.
- Network, share best practice and knowledge through membership of the PCB User Group.
- Links to Quality & Outcomes data provided by University Hospitals Birmingham’s Health Evaluation Data set (HED)
- Detailed PCB analysis reports are produced by Albatross’ expert analysts which identify potential efficiency savings annually. To view the latest status of analysis reports being produced this year please click here
Facilitates comparison between any number of Trusts and provides comparison at the following levels:
- Procedure Code
- Diagnosis Code
Enables cost comparison by Cost Type
Provides a comparison of length of stay
Peer group analysis
Cost distribution analysis
Clinical coding analysis
Also now includes a Carter productivity and efficiency dashboard
An additional service that compliments PCB is Care Pathway Analysis click here
View the user group in Google maps: PCB User Group Map